Printing Hell

Dan Friedman dan at clearvisiontech.com
Mon Jan 24 14:48:16 EST 2005

I don't know if this will help, or if this even pertains to the issues you
are experiencing, but here's what solved my Windows printing problems in
REV...

When developing my applications, I had nothing but problems when printing on
Windows.  Font substitutions, misalignments, and general "odd looking"
results were more common than not.  If I fiddled with the printer's settings
long enough, I could eventually get it to print - on that printer!

Over the course of a couple of years (and MANY headaches and disgruntled
customers), it is my belief that Revolution does NOT properly load the print
driver when the application [standalone] launches.  As you may or may not
know, opening the printer dialog in Windows loads the print driver to the
application.  So, simply calling a "answer printer" before a print command
solved the problem.  Ever since I started issuing the "answer printer"
command before printing, the printing problems have ceased.

I only have to call "answer printer" once.  Subsequent print commands (in
the same application instance) don't require the "answer printer" command to
be called again.  So, here is my standard printing routine:

on doPrint
  global didPrintSetUp

  -- do your stuff here

  if not didPrintSetUp then