Help Yourself learn RR (was mistakenly named RE: RAD Challenge)

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Mon Jan 24 11:49:50 EST 2005

Maybe we should complain about the lack of a real proxy implementation
like WinCommander does it for ftp connections (it has all the options!)
but for videos, I think we are complaining a bit too much!

I learned programming be rewriting byte magazine source codes they had
on an Apple ][. From the 8 pt computer-font of the time (horrible read)
with the possible errors that slipped in to no language reference!

Then when the Mac128K came along, I transcribed that to MSBasic (YUK)
with just text books (no searching!).

When I got the HyperCard, all I new was macpaint and macwrite (and 3 kinds
of basic included MacBasic 0.8 which beated MS basic hands down with toolbox
calls and all). I lost my pascal handbook and never tried again...

ThinkC was cooler but harder - still all with just a manual and no event the
net! Sooner later I got into AppleLink but still, yuk...

HyperCard on the other hand was all there was you needed to learn, all we
needed was the HyperTalk reference stack (go help+2 clicks)!

The help stack was rather useless...

BTW, if you want, I can send you my NetBackup windows command reference in
pdf - it's at least 100 pages like the unix 'man' about a load of commands
with tons and tons of case-sensitive switches and names of objects in the
backup server! Many needed because the GUI doesn't do them (like extending
the expiration of some backup jobs...) It took 2 days and 3 of us to find
all the commands required: 3 with a few nasty switches! What is nice is that
soon as I need it I have an API for these in RunRev.

In the end, the best way is to disassemble a stack or try to create one for
the fun of it, look at the reference (takes a week) and voila! copy paste
instructions! There's also galaxies of stacks to explore on the net!

I find looking at the subjects or FAQ not as fun or instructive but it does
get me out of trouble when needed! If that fails, there's always the list's
gurus!

BTW this mail list archive is a great learning tool too! See the link at the
bottom...

cheers
Xavier
--