The real Challenge for every development platform

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 15:04:57 EST 2005

on Sat, 22 Jan 2005
Judy Perry wrote:

> You know, kinda like what Hypercard provided.

That's exactly what i thought. A lot of the users
of RunRev were HyperCard users.

Sorry Judy, but we, (ex-hypercard users) are not
fair judges. ;-)

In some way, we have developed a fixed point of view
about how things must be done... the Hypercard point
of view. Oddly enough, i believe that this explain
why exist too few educational materials for beginners
in this platform:

Hypercard users do not need this material, because
it already exist for HyperCard...

So my first question is:

Why not ask the autors of all these excellent
programming books about HyperCard to update
their contents for RunRev?

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=dp_searchBox_1/103-0642774-2193463?url=index%3Dbooks%26dispatch%3Dsearch%26results-process%3Dbin&field-keywords=hypercard&x=0&y=0>
105 books in total. :-))

Dan Shafer has already started...
so why not contact:

Danny Goodman, George Beekman, Winkler, Kamins,
our Jeanne DeVoto, William B Sanders,Peter Desberg,
John Anzovin, Greg Harvey, Barry Shell, Dennis Myers,
Annette Lamb, Rebecca Gold, Steven Anzovin,
Richard Maran, Fred Ventura, Joseph F. Hofmeister,
Joyce B. Rudowski, Stephen Michel, Jerry Daniels,
Lesley S.J. Farmer, Jean Hewlett, David R. Adams,
George H. Culp, G. Morgan Watkins, Myke Gluck,
Tay Vaughan, Michael Fraase, John Dilbeck, Nicki Fink,
Barry Shell, Gary Bond, Carol Kaehler, Stephen Wilson,
Glen Bull, George Coulouris, Susan K. Baumann,
Steven L. Mandell, Mimi Jones, Dave Myers,
Sandra Turner, Michael Land, Alan L. Eliason,
Lorilee Sadler, Katie Withey, Nathan Goldenthal,
Judy Gray, Sherry, Dr. Francis, Paul Goodman,
Lyn Pemberton, Russell T Okinaka, Paul Kahn,
W H O'Hanlon, Kenneth W Estep, Christina Knussen,
Patricia Anne Morbitzer Koetter, Henry Robert Burger,
Dominique Vannier, Dave Moursund, Sharon Yoder,
William R Higgins, Joel Brandt Augustine, Jeff
Stodard,
Jennifer A Dasovich, Dale Dougherty, Giorgio Volpi,
Katherine A Richards and the quintaessential
publisher for beginners: Dummies Technology Press...
and many more in other languages.

I understand that RR has limited resources to
promise revenues to every author that update
their books but it's worth a try, because some
of them will want to test this software and
surely some of them will become hooked on
this platform.

My wish were that RR buys the rights to publish some
of these "out of print" books
(for the abandoned software Hypercard) and offer
them as a free download from their website.

And finally, Why not HELP some user to write
a book with their software experience in this
platform?

I'll pay (as i already paid for the 3 volumes
that Dan Shafer is writing) for a book describing
"Integrating RunRev, Apache, MySQL and PostgreSQL"
by Pierre Sahores.

I'll pay for a book (that included a cdrom
with Free compilers for every platform)
about creating DLL or XCMD for RR or MC
wrote by many developers that
already are in this mail-list.

As you noticed, these are not beginners books.

Gordon Webster wrote:

> As a new user to rev and in spite of the fact that I
> like it very much, I could see how potential users
> might be deterred by the lack of a clear roadmap for
> getting started with Transcript and the whole
> Hypercard thing.
[snip]
> but the information a new user needs is so spread
> around that finding what you need to know is like
> panning for gold. Dan's book certainly goes some way
> to addressing these needs but I think we need more
> of that kind of pedagogical approach to rev for new
> users

New users that were not Apple and Hypercard users...
That is an important distinction!
95 % of actual computer users fit this description
;-)

> I think rev is great and my gripes (if you can call
> them that) are based upon the fact that I like rev
so

That's a mind opening phrase:
"I'd like to be able to use it for EVERYTHING!"

How many people begin using this platform and after
some time  start looking a way to use RR
for everything???

I'll be one of the first to raise my hand, but
had learned that before that would happen,
had to gather a lot of knowledge scattered, as you
said among:
many mail list messages,
many open code stacks,
many software commenting and debugging sessions
and many powerful minds that join us
everyday in this mail list.

Best,

al