Revdb and ODBC (a hint)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 01:04:31 EST 2005

Hi All,

As I was up early, I finally got around to
reinstalling  Office2K on my Win2K machine (in order
to get MSQuery back in a working state), and decided
to check why I couldn't connect to my Progress
database from Revolution. (Bugzilla # 2438)

After connecting from Excel to make sure that, yes
indeed, I could connect perfectly fine from there, I
took a peek at the actual SQL that Excel sent to the
ODBC driver -- and noticed that Excel had prefixed the
name of the table with "PUB."

And sure enough, when I used the Database Query
Builder, connected and then entered the query as :
  SELECT * FROM PUB.Customer
There were no complaints from the ODBC driver. I
hooked up a few fields and buttons, and lo-and-behold,
I could see the data just fine.

Conclusion 1: if something with ODBC fails, and Excel
works fine, check out what monstrous SQL it has
produced, and glean useful information out of it.

Conclusion 2: if revdb_tablenames could be fixed to
work properly with ODBC and subsequently documented,
life would be much easier for those people that use
databases for which there are no native drivers.

Hope this helped someone,

Jan Schenkel.

=====
Quartam - Tools for Revolution