RunRev vs RealBasic (Richard Gaskin)

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Jan 20 17:55:36 EST 2005

In fairness to Rev, there was no stipulation regarding how many lines of
code it take to generate the results. In fact, one could concatenate all
lines of the Rev code using ';' to solve the problem in only 1 line of
code ;-)

Also, there are certainly different things going on in the two code
snippets you posted. In RB, variables are not declared, but in Rev some
are instantiated-- not to mention the MD5digest reset switch (only in
the Rev code). Also, as I recall, this project was a 'moving target.'
Once Rev posted a 'winning time', the challenge changed benefiting RB.

Assuming 'readability' and 'maintainability' were set as primary goals,
it's hard to deny Xtalk languages excel in both areas.

All that said, it does look like either application can handle string
parsing w/out problems.

-Chipp