Windows externals and the imagePixmapID

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Jan 19 19:16:02 EST 2005

Aha!  Turns out I was asking the wrong question, but that code
certainly helped me to find a way to do it.

I ended up using a GDI "DIB Section" object as an intermediary between
the screen-level DDB and the printer DC; it went something like this
(slightly modified to simplify, though coded in an external I'm working
on for Rev):

HDC printerDC;    /* provided target DC */
HBITMAP screenDDB, sect, oldbits;    /* screenDDB is the imagePixmapID
from Rev */
BITMAP bmap;
int dx, dy, dw, dh;   /* provided position and size on printed page */

if (GetObject(screenDDB, sizeof(BITMAP), &bmap) != sizeof(BITMAP))
<failure-exit>;

/* create a DIB Section version of the bitmap */
sect = CopyImage(screenDDB, IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_CREATEDIBSECTION);

/* select it into a memory region */
memDC = CreateCompatibleDC(printerDC);
oldbits = (HBITMAP)SelectObject(memDC, sect);

/* render onto printer page */
StretchBlt(printerDC, dx, dy, dw, dh,
                   memDC, 0, 0, bmap.bmWidth, bmap.bmHeight, SRCCOPY);

/* clean up */

SelectObject(memDC, oldbits);
DeleteDC(memDC);
DeleteObject(sect);

Now I'll be able to sleep tonight (well, at least the chances of it are
improved)!

Thank you.