Debugger causing problems.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 18 01:09:35 EST 2005

Alex Tweedly wrote:
>> Many moons ago, Richard shared one of this many stack script tips.
>> I've used it on every project since. He creates a stack level handler
>> called "stripAndShip" and executes it before saving and building a
>> standalone.
>
> You know, I've heard (or seen) Richard give that advice (though not
> specifically with regard to breakpoints).

Giving credit where due, last time I heard about breakpoints was from
your post. :)

I use MC most of the time so I wouldn't have be familiar with it.

> I should know by now that when one of the gurus says something like
> that, I should listen - and if it's not obvious, I should think about it
> until I figure out WHY they recommend something.

I like to anticipate the "why" in the Handy Handlers articles I write
for RevJournal.  I tend to start with the simplest form of a handler
then expand for error-checking, generalization, etc., explaining the
"why" of each new bit as it's added.

I get lazy here and often just post handlers with no explanation.  I
figure someone who writes code as good as you would figure out what I
mean. :)  But I'd take no offense if you asked "Why?"

> Back in 10 minutes, once I've added such a handler to my half dozen
> current projects .....

Damn handy, that StripAndShip.  Again, giving credit where due, I
adopted that habit from some code I worked on years ago for Brian
Thomas, which was written by Phillip A. Moore.  He has a number of
interesting tidbits in there, and the StripAndShip was among them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation