[OT] Request for icon app

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 15 17:20:27 EST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:29:07 -0800, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> made out a very interesting case for
Macromedia Fireworks. It was endearing to read

>Fireworks is everything I had always wanted from SuperPaint

I loved SuperPaint too, in my time, tho I don't think anyone had heard of
antialiasing back then.

My real quarrel with Photoshop is that it is to me (but clearly not to
others) deeply counter-intuitive, and I suppose my rather casual use of it
has prevented me surmounting the learning curve. Many things offered in
menus don't work in certain circumstances because of a kind of hidden
context consisting of a combination of properties one's unaware of, like
what kind of color model is being used; and anyone who chooses the term
'Unsharp Mask' to describe a function whose job is to **sharpen** an image
is not really trying to make things too clear, are they? Nor have I ever
got 'Replace Color' to replace a color... I could go on. And anyway the
attractions of a more vector-based tool are obvious. I shall see if I can
afford Fireworks.

Ah well, back to Rev.

Graham