MacWorld part 2

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Jan 14 20:45:43 EST 2005

A friend of mine went to MacWorld, saw this thing, bought it, installed
it, poked at it, and sent me a note.

As some of you may know, I wrote one of two books published on Prograph
before that product/company essentially went belly-up. (Hmmm. I hope I
don't have the decidedly unhelpful effect on *all* the companies whose
products I write books about. heh heh)

My friend (like me) was a fairly ardent fan of Prograph and we were
both sad to see it go away. It truly is the ONLY completely visual
programming environment I've ever seen and although it takes a while to
wrap your head around it, its power was truly amazing. And it really is
fully object-oriented.

That said, the ultimate disappointment of Prograph was that even though
it seemed like it ought to be a way to bring programming to the
Inventive Users I know and love so well, alas, it embodies a very steep
learning curve. Combined with the fact that screen size limitations
make it all but impossible ever to see any but the most trivial of toy
apps on the screen all at one time in source code form (which makes
top-level view and debugging a nightmare), Prograph turned out to be
not nearly as productive as we'd all hoped it could be.

Still, I wrote a HUGE and very successful internal app at Cisco Systems
using it and still have a soft spot in my softheart for it.

Dan