[Fwd: Re: Compression question / problem]

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Jan 12 18:25:04 EST 2005

Alex,

Here's my math regarding the download time for a single 1 megapixel JPG
file * 50. A Single 1024X768 JPEG compressed at Quality 60 is over 100K.
Testing here it takes about 8 seconds on a cable modem to upload it to
an FTP server. This doesn't take into account the handshake stuff as I'm
using libURLSetStatusCallback to get feedback on when the file starts
uploading and then is finished.

So 8 seconds * 50 images = 400 seconds = 6 min 40 seconds. I really
don't think waiting an extra 10 to 20 seconds makes *that* big a
difference here-- and that is why I suggest making the decision based on
other criteria. For instance, what happens if you lose your connection
at 6 min 20 seconds? Do you want your user to start all over? I
personally would rather download each file independantly, keep track of
them then have the user only download files not yet downloaded if the
connection is broken. This is 'other criteria'.

Also, as Dave mentions, libURL can't do 'parallel' downloads, so you
don't get a speed boost you thought.

best,

Chipp