Compression question / problem

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jan 12 17:58:46 EST 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:

> It'll take only slightly longer to download 50 separate files than one
> large file. I think I would make that design decision based on other
> criteria than just time.

I have to disagree with that  -  it may take more than "slightly
longer", depending on circumstances.

Multiple small files (assuming you don't parallelize them) will cost you
at least one extra round-trip time per file (and possibly more depending
on the server, firewall, proxy, nat box, etc.). So on a "typical"
client, open a shell and "ping" the server. Take the average round-trip
time reported, and multiply by 50 - that's the approx cost of multiple
small files.

You have a base time of around 10 seconds in this case (50 x 10k over a
512K DSL connection), so you can tell whether or not it would be a
noticeable increase.

my house to my web server
   round trip = 48ms, overhead = 2.4 secs.  10 sec vs 12 sec ? - not
important.
my house to runrev.com
   round trip = 140 ms, overhead = 7 seconds.   10 sec vs 17 sec - worth
worrying about.

-- Alex.