Scrollbar Covering Resizebox

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Jan 3 16:03:49 EST 2005

The 20-pixel thing refers to "controls" within a Window?  You probably
need to distinguish between a window with "controls" and a "Document
Window."

A "Document Window" provides a scrollable view of a single document.
The title of the window is the name of the document.  A document window
may provide a proxy icon, and *should* change its red "close" button to
indicate whether or not a document has been modified.  The scrollable
field in a document window would be looked on as a view of the
document, and while technically it is a control, it would not be
treated as such by the HIGs, at least not in the traditional sense.  So
yes, that type of "control" should extend to the edges of the window.

OTOH, if the configuration of the stack being looked at does not match
that of a document window, there should be a certain amount of
whitespace around the window, as mentioned in the post quoted below.

As far as Apple violating that guideline, looking at TextEdit, etc. --
those are document windows.  The only window I can think of offhand
where this is even a consideration is the primary Mail window, which
represents a mailbox and provides a preview pane for each message.  Is
the window a document window, where each mailbox is a document?  If so,
the preview pane shows an individual message from the mailbox.  This is
a matter of semantics: since the message is part of the mailbox, it
could be considered correct for the field to extend to the edge of the
window.  OTOH, since the message could also be looked on as "embedded"
inside a mailbox (using the mailbox as a container for multiple
messages, where each message is a separate component, or in other
words, another document), perhaps there should be a border?  Depends on
how you look at this, I guess; although I prefer it the way it is.  It
kind of makes sense to treat that one as a document.

Is there another apparent violation I am not thinking of?