RunRev compilation (was another "vs" thread)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 3 16:16:40 EST 2005

kee nethery wrote:
> long ago in Hypercard land there was a product that would compile
> hypertalk into an XFCN or XCMD. I would not be surprised if someone on
> this list wrote it. Perhaps it is time for them to update and productize
> it?

That was CompileIt!, written by Tom Pittman.  I enjoyed working with an
unreleased derivative of it made by Mark Hanrek, which automated a lot
of the symbol linking and stuff that made Pittman's interface nearly
impossible to work with.

On top of that, since xTalk was never designed for compilation you had
to do a lot of funky syntax to get any reasonable compilation.  In
retrospect, working with C is in many ways simpler than the odd Symbol
Table-HyperTalk mish-mash that CompileIt! required.

But more relevant for Rev is that CompileIt! would require far more than
an update for anything beyond the 68k instruction set it was designed
for.  It would require a complete reqwrite to handle PPC, Intel, OS X,
and the various flavors of UNIX, Linux, and Windows.  That would leave
only the UI, which wasn't much to write home about. ;)

Maybe another approach would be to cache the compiled Transcript.  The
engine already generates the code anyway, so we know the core foundation
is workable and solid.  Attempting to compile in advance of runtime
would likely require some changes to syntax for those scripts targeted
for compilation, but should be theoretically doable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation