RunRev compilation (was another "vs" thread)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 3 14:00:09 EST 2005

Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> I personally wonder what it would take to create a true compiler for Rev
> stacks?  Obviously this would introduce some limitations on certain
> operations, but for stacks which don't use those operations, it could
> substantially increase performance...

I agree it would be good to be able to selectively compile Transcript
(in my own work very little would benefit from it significantly, but
when it would I'd be willing to introduce a compile-runtime cycle into
my workflow).   In the meantime you have true compilation available with
any other language of your choice through externals.

At the heart of Transcript compilation is data typing, and fortunately
the design work of mixing typing with xTalk has already been done:
ToolBook's OpenScript allows data typing to makes direct calls to the
Win OS API.

There was a thread on this last year on the Improve-Rev list -- maybe
it's a good time to resurrect that there to arrive at a recommended spec
for inclusion in Bugzilla.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation