Shell strangeness

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sat Feb 26 19:37:27 EST 2005

Idly playing around with shell commands, I noticed that I was getting
some quite strange return values.
For example, below is the start of the text returned by 'put shell("man
bash") into fld 1'.

-------------

BASH(1)								       BASH(1)

NNAAMMEE
        bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell

SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
        bbaasshh [options] [file]

CCOOPPYYRRIIGGHHTT
        Bash is Copyright (C) 1989-2002 by the Free Software Foundation,
Inc.

DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
        BBaasshh  is	 an  sshh-compatible  command language
interpreter that executes
        commands read from the standard input or from a file.
BBaasshh also incor-
        porates useful features from the _K_o_r_n and _C shells
(kksshh and ccsshh).

This doesn't happen in the terminal window. Not an important issue for
me, at the moment, but this sort of thing could be problematic I would
have thought.

Mac OS X 10.3.8
G4 PB
RunRev Studio 2.5

I quite like the cartoon violence of 'man bash', though :)

Mark