Checkbox/field related question

Silver, Jason jsilver at qualcomm.com
Fri Feb 25 19:48:23 EST 2005

Hello again fellow revolutionaries!

Since I last posted, I've made a lot of progress on my mobile phone
simulation stack.  There's a sub-stack containing contacts, and I have a
couple of cards in the mainstack (Prototype) which are reading
information from the cards in the Contacts sub-stack.

The following screen provides a good example and background of what I've
done:
http://img71.exs.cx/img71/9557/listitems7ci.png
All of the text you see (except for the title of the screen and the
softkeys) is being pulled from cards in the Contacts sub-stack.  Each
blurred out line corresponds to a card from that stack, and the content
of the field (i.e. the names) is generated dynamically when the card is
opened.  It's a multi-line field, and the icons are put there by using
imageSource.  That made it easy to lay everything out according to the
screen dimensions I was provided.

Now, I've come to a point where I want to select/deselect multiple names
to add them to a group.  This is a wireframe of the proposed design from
Visio:
http://img71.exs.cx/img71/8803/checkboxes8wd.png
Like the previous example, I need this screen to be generated
dynamically when the card is opened, by pulling contact names from the
database (e.g. field "First name" of card x of stack "Contacts").
However, I'm confused about how to highlight checkboxes and text at the
same time.  (Like a mobile phone, scrolling up and down hilites a single
line WITH the checkbox).  Since each checkbox is a button, is it better
to have the contact name as the button's name, or have the checkbox
grouped with a field?   It's definitely tougher since I don't know if I
can do this with a single multi-line text field, and I also have to
figure out where to create and place the checkboxes when the card is
opened.

Like always, all help is welcome.  I think I'll be buying dinners for
many people once we meet up in Monterey.  :)

All the best,

Jason Silver
Human Factors Engineer, Sr.
QUALCOMM Inc.