No subject

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Feb 25 06:50:45 EST 2005

Robert Brenstein wrote:

> London is one of the notoriously cheap flight destinations from many
> places around Europe. But taking a train from London to Highlands can
> be an adventure. Not sure about the costs. Flying up north is more
> costly, though, if I recall. But may be RR could strike a deal with
> some smaller carrier.

Getting to Edinburgh isn't as bad as it used to be - we have Easyjet
from Edinburgh to 8 or so locations (including London), and from GLA
(Glasgow) to about the same number (probably the same ones :-).  Not
quite so convenient but still doable is Glasgow Prestwick via Ryanair to
17 continental cities.

The train can be interesting - definitely the civilised way to do it,
but unfortunately can be expensive.

Yes - there is the safety record to consider.
I think British trains are only about 8 times as safe as driving
(accidents per passenger mile). :-)