Rev - Odbc - Access

Steve Paris lists at paris-saigon.com
Thu Feb 24 09:07:08 EST 2005

Thierry,

I have had a bit of experience over the last few weeks writing a Rev
front end to an Access db. The objective originally was a simple
prototype student records system, but I have been very happy with the
results, as have my staff. Its very fast and very easy to add
sophisticated new functionality. Maybe soon the tag of "prototype" will
become irrelevant.

I hadn't done any database work in Rev before, and I based by original
approach on that used by the "SoftwareDBDemo" which I think is now on
revOnline. This approach doesn't rely on record sets and cursors but
loads the result of a SELECT statement into an array. As I understand
it, that gets around the bugs with moving forward or backward through a
record set.

So while some of the power of revDB may not be usable in an  Access/ODBC
project, enough of it works, and there are easy workarounds, to make
using Rev to create sophisticated front ends to Access db's very practical.

And now I'm off to add a few more features to my "prototype"....

Steve