CD-ROM as directory?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Thu Feb 24 06:13:42 EST 2005

Konichiwa Nicolas-san,

> Hello All,
>
> I'm having a problem running a standalone off of a CD-ROM. Namely, the
> standalone itself opens up but not its sound and image files.
>
> Now, the problem disappears if I copy the standalone and all its
> associated
> files/directories to the hard drive of one of my Win machines (Win98,
> Japanese). So I guess something is up with the directory path.
>
> Here's an example of my scripting method for calling up images and
> sounds
> via "the directory":
>
>  put the directory into tDir
>  put tDir & "/snd/" & tSoundFileID into tSndFilePath
>  play tSndFilePath
>
> Perhaps this a Windows issue rather than a Rev one? Or perhaps its a
> Japanese language issue, i.e., somewhere in the path there are perhaps
> Japanese characters that are somehow messing up how Rev is reading "the
> directory" name?
>
> And if anyone's wondering why not just scrap the CD-ROM and, instead,
> make
> an installer or simply copy files directly to the HD, well, this is the
> easiest way for my young students. For now.

if i remember correctly, this is a (windows only?) bug...

It only affects setting or using "the directory" on the "root" level of
a drive.

Workaround: put your app and subfolders into a folder and provide a
shortcut/alias
to your standalone on the "root" level of the drive like:

CD-ROM:
    MyApp.lnk
       MyAppFolder
            MyApp.exe