OT: Help with motivation

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:56:36 EST 2005

I have exactly the same problem - it sometimes takes me days or weeks
to really get going on a project.  When I'm designing databases or
forms days can pass with nothing happening.  In College I had the same
problem - I just could not get into studying for an exam.  Ultimately
what I discovered is that inside me there is something intuitive that
needs panic, disaster, mayhem, and impending doom to focus.  There's
something strangely calming about it.  Maybe that's why I'm a
volunteer firefighter, too.

You too may have an intuitive clock that isn't wound yet for this
project.  In College and Grad school I ultimately gave up and resorted
to a novel study technique I call the one-hour-cram.  It didn't matter
if it was Quantum Physics or Probability or Marketing.  I started
cramming the moment I felt like I couldn't put it off any longer and
went full-tilt until the moment the exam hit my desk.  My grades were
never better, and I got a lot more sleep and played a lot more golf.

Good luck.  Speaking of which, I've got some environmental reports due
March 1 that I really should get started on.  Screw it.  I've got days
yet.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."