OT: Help with motivation

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 05:10:01 EST 2005

On 22 Feb 2005, at 23:29, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>> I have been having problems getting myself motivated. I have a
>> possible customer for a few ideas I have and he said as soon as I'm
>> ready that he will try and sell them for me. I even have a lot of
>> ideas for this project. But I can't seem to get started. I have been
>> sitting here for weeks reading this list every day and opening up REV
>> but still can't start.

If you're like me, I find that in these situations, any kind of
methodical planning isn't going to work. As a student, this was
described to me as "Cuthbert's paradox" , in which your objectives
depend on the methods of implementation, and the methods of
implementation depend on the objective. In other words, "You don't know
what you want until you know how to get it, and you don't know how to
get it until you know what you want." The solution, we were told, was
modelled around psychoanalytic techniques. But basically it involves
piddling around till everything becomes clear.

The key is in finding efficient(ish) techniques of "piddling around".

On 22 Feb 2005, at 23:29, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Pick one tiny aspect of the project that doesn't involve anything that
> you don't already know how to do and just do that. Don't worry about
> the rest as it is daunting to face a large project where nothing has
> been done, so break it up and just do little bit by little bit. After
> a few tiny bits have been put together, it won't seem so difficult.

I like this approach too.

The way I usually do it is to create a new stack and put a row of say 5
buttons along the top and a blank field below. Then using the first
button, I implement some function/feature that I think will probably
have to be included in the project.  (Getting data from the internet,
parsing a particular kind of data structure, whatever.) I use the field
to display any data as I go. I might add another field and use one for
"input" and one for "output". Then do something else with the second
button, and so on. Add more buttons as required. When I'm bored with
this, I'll make a second card, and start "piddling around" with some
interface ideas. (Occasionally asking the questions, "Who's going to
use this? What will they expect to see?")

When things get really grim, I go to the supermarket and think, "Hey,
working here wouldn't be too bad. Stocking shelves looks quite
therapeutic." It takes some of the pressure away to know there are
alternatives. :)

Which all reminds me of a paper I read while a student. It was in a
book of papers about  "Corporate and Strategic Planning". This was in
the seventies when "goal setting, systems analysis, problem definition,
cybernetic modelling, cost-benefit analysis, platform shoes" were cool.
Amongst the heady sounding papers was one entitled "The Art of Muddling
Through". Not so much inspiring as reassuring.

Cheers
Dave