OT: Help with motivation

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Feb 22 21:12:13 EST 2005

Hi Thomas,

> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:56:05 -0500
> From: Thomas McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
> Subject: OT: Help with motivation

>  I have been sitting here for
> weeks reading this list every day and opening up REV but still can't
> start.

BTDT Thomas. And I imagine many here have. You're not alone.

> Any helpful ideas on how to jump start a project?

You are simply stuck in a do-nothing repeat loop.

Best advice I could give would be to shut down the computer, get away
from the machine for awhile. Take a pad and pencil with you if you
like, but nothing more technical. It's for sketching nature or writing
down ideas, if they come, but don't force the issue at all. Go for a
walk in the woods (or whatever wilderness you have nearby) with a nice
view. Take a flute or a tin whistle, some kind of small musical
instrument might be nice, too. Avoid thinking, just let things happen.

The idea is to shed technical stuff and let your mind out of its cage
for awhile. Clear your head. The main problem is usually just loss of
perspective.

HTH,
Ken N.