OT: Help with motivation

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Feb 22 18:34:09 EST 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 2:56 PM, Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> Hello listers,
>
> I hope this is not too far off topic.
>
> I have been having problems getting myself motivated. I have a
> possible customer for a few ideas I have and he said as soon as I'm
> ready that he will try and sell them for me. I even have a lot of
> ideas for this project. But I can't seem to get started. I have been
> sitting here for weeks reading this list every day and opening up REV
> but still can't start.
>
> Any helpful ideas on how to jump start a project?

Ahh, you need to "Prep for Flow".  When working "flow" is like being in
a "zone" in sports.  Everything goes right, you can do no wrong.
Obviously things are going great when you are in "flow" but you need to
prepare yourself for "flow".  This involves getting rid of
distractions.  Prepping for flow involves things such as:

* Watching any movie trailers on the web which might later distract you
while working
* Trips to the Apple Store (or other computer store of your choice) to
make sure you have all of the coolest gadgets you might need for flow.
* Surfing the internet looking for inspiring articles, applications or
funny cartoons.  All seem to be effective.
* Eating cake.  Nobody can be in flow when they are hungry.

Prepping for flow can obviously include many more things (trips to
Disneyland work well sometimes) but this should get you started.  Some
people mistake prepping for flow with wasting time.  It is all in how
you look at it.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia