Stack name uniqueness {was: Re: Making "Wells": Whose Control Is It Anyway?)

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 22 16:39:56 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:09:20 -0800, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Stack IDs are variable by design.  They are potentially useful in only
> rare cases, and the recommended method to refer to stacks is to use the
> long name, which is always unique.

How come then that I can't have two stacks with the same name in the
IDE at the same time - even if they're substacks of different
mainstacks? I have often wished to do this, so that I can have the old
and new versions of a stack in the machine at the same time in order to
cannibalise scripts etc. But the IDE won't let you do it (I just tried
it again, to be sure). This has been discussed in the past, I believe,
but so far I haven't tracked down what RR people thought about the
issue.

Graham