noob questions

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 22 10:00:04 EST 2005

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:51:03 -0500, Mikey <mikeythek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So I ask again, where are the manuals?  I have yet to see a tool that
> doesn't have manuals available for inspection in a pre-sale mode.

Well, I can think of a few - for example I don't know of a single
up-to-date Microsoft product that has a manual, let alone one you can
buy before you buy the product. Some of them come with a leaflet of
some kind, but certainly not with any systematic 'how-to' description,
nor any exhaustive functional description. Of course there are
third-party books available about most of this stuff, but I don't think
that's what you meant.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think so. I was a great RTFM
person, way back, but the fashion for heavy printed manuals seems to
have passed, presumably for economic reasons. I do agree that it's
tough to understand stuff nowadays if you're a linear-reading type.

Graham