New user just introducing myself...

Todd Higgins higginsta at mac.com
Sat Feb 19 16:55:01 EST 2005

Hi Everyone,

I purchased Dreamcard last fall and I upgraded to Revolution last month
just in time to take advantage of the AltBrowser/MagicCarpet Xmas combo
(Thanks Kevin and Chipp for the generous offer!)

I have learned quite a lot about Revolution by reading the list (though
I don't know how anyone can keep up with all of the traffic)  and I
want the makers of Revolution to know that part of the reason I decided
to go with Revolution was because of the high quality (and personable)
nature of the list.

Like Len Morgan (another Revolution beginner on the list - Hi Len) I am
having a hard time grokking Revolution.  It seems like most people who
come to Revolution have had previous experience with Hypercard (alas I
was not so lucky, the first Mac I bought was a IIsi and it only came
with the Hypercard player and I could not find the "full" version.)

  I am an experienced computer user,  who has dabbled with Applescript
and some shell scripting for my customers, but I have never worked in
an IDE and have never developed a GUI tool.  (My daytime job is
"System Engineer" where I work on OS X Servers and W2K Servers)

When I was evaluating Revolution previously, I remember seeing a
tutorial section under help.  I couldn't seem to find it in the 2.5
version, so I just ordered Dan's book : )

What other good habits would I do well to develop?  Also, what plugins
or externals do people consider "essential" to the Revolution
development experience?  I have read about a few on the list, but I'm
not sure if the apply to me (or if I would just be unnecessarily
complicating my learning curve)  Any suggestions will be gratefully
accepted!

Thanks

Todd

--