User Application Support folder on OS X?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Feb 18 17:09:48 EST 2005

On Feb 18, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> I don't understand the problem, ~/Library/Application Support/ will
> always point to the current user app support folder, why can't you use
> it? That folder will always be present, and will always be on the same
> place... okay, specialFolderPath will not return this folder, but you
> will probably have different routines for both mac and win32 when it
> comes to finding where to store data, so you can make win32 report
> whatever place you want and hard code ~/Library/application support/
> on the mac, can't you?

> There probably is someway to return that folder using 'defaults' or
> 'scutil' shell commands but since you know the folder in the first
> place, why bother finding some way to return it?

Is it the same for all languages running OS X?  I once hard coded a
small portion of a path on Windows.  In Spanish one of the folders that
I hardcoded was the name of the folder in Spanish.  Needless to say my
path did not work on Spanish systems.  That made me sad.  I vowed never
to hardcode a folder that the operating system provides an API to
retrieve.

Now if OS X is different then windows in that the folder structure is
always the same regardless of language then that might be different.
But can a user move their application support folder?  Is it possible
that the user support folder could be on a server in a networked
environment?  I don't know the answers to these questions but I know it
won't matter if I use the API call.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia