How do you guys make sure you get paid?

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Feb 18 12:27:01 EST 2005

Jonathan.....

About 25 years ago when I began my consulting career, my accountant
gave me some great advice from which I have never deviated.

Always be working on the other guy's dime. You're not his bank. If he
can't afford to pay you up front, then unless you're willing to take a
risk or a royalty stream or something, just pass on the project.

In practice, this translates for me to:

1. Typically get 1/3 to 1/2 of the project fee (or estimate) on signing
the deal.
2. Tie milestone payments to deliveries where possible.
3. Stop work if and when payments are late or stop.
4. Get it in writing.
5. Make sure the spec is clear and that any changes have to be in
writing and approved by both parties. It's even better if changes also
incur a charge and/or include the right to adjust the agreed-upon fee.
6. Leave a percentage -- 10-20 usually works -- to be paid N days after
final delivery or on acceptance of the project, whichever occurs first.

IN rare cases where you love the project and think it will make your
client rich (or at least comfortable) and he's not in a position to pay
up front, then get a royalty stream or equity participation and then
expect that about 75% of the time you'll be wrong and won't get paid
anything. You can take on some of these projects if you're flush and
business is good.

FWIW.

Dan