A Revolution beginner seeks advice...

Karen Karen at curlypaws.com
Wed Feb 16 13:15:57 EST 2005

Hi,

I've been taking a look at Revolution and, so far, I've been very impressed
with what I've seen.  I come from a REALbasic background (and Visual Basic
on the PC) and while I like the flexibility that it offers, the complexity
can be a real turn off.

For example, to build a solution for the current "REALbasic Olympics"
competition in Revolution, I need a script as simple as:

get the htmlText of field "edtText"
replace text of field "edtFind" with text of field "edtReplace" in it
set the htmlText of field "edtText" to it

Doing this in REALbasic is much less straightforward - and I'm increasingly
keen to be able to produce a solution quickly, rather than take ages to work
things out, even if there are a few more constraints by going down this
route.

So at the moment I'm tempted to buy a licence for Revolution (Dreamcard
seems nice but limited since I'd like to be able to build standalone
applications).  I'm still playing around with the demo to try converting
some REALbasic apps to Revolution to get a feel for what it can and can't
do.

However, I have some questions that I was hoping that you might be able to
help with.  My main concern is learning the Revolution scripting language,
which seems quite a bit different to anything I'm used to.  Is there a
shortcut to doing this - would the book "Software at the Speed of Thought"
be a help here?  Is it worth getting the printed manuals?  Am I best just to
rely on the various web resources?

I also wonder about the "Update pack" - it seems pretty expensive, is it
worth buying?  Or am I best to wait until an update appears that I really
want and then take out a renewal?  Given that I've sunk a lot of money into
REALbasic, I'm keen to keep any new expenditure down!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Karen