Launch pdf on cd

Stephen Van Esch vanesch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 19:15:20 EST 2005

Folks:

Sorry to be returning to the well yet again but I've
really hit a wall with this. I've followed Chipp's
script as follows:

-->

on linkClicked pLink
  if pLink contains "pdf manual" then
    launch "manual.pdf"
  end if
end linkClicked

on viewPDF_MacOSX pPDFpath
   if "AppleScript" is not among the lines of the
alternateLanguages
then
     answer "AppleScript must be installed."
     exit to top
   end if
   put revMacFromUnixPath(pPDFpath) into pPDFpath

   --> THIS ASSUMES YOU'VE JUST DOWNLOADED A .PDF FILE
   --> AND THE CREATOR AND FILETYPE AREN'T PROPERLY
SET
   put "tell application " &quote& "Finder" & quote &
cr into tScript
   put "set the creator type of file " &quote&
pPDFpath &quote& \
       " to " &quote& "CARO" &quote& cr after tScript
   put "set the file type of file " &quote& pPDFpath
&quote& \
       " to " &quote& "PDF " &quote& cr after tScript
   put "end tell" after tScript
   do tScript as Applescript
   put the result into sError

   put "tell application " &quote& "Finder" & quote &
cr into tScript
   put "open file " &quote& pPDFpath &quote & cr after
tScript
   put "end tell" after tScript
   do tScript as Applescript
   put the result into sError

end viewPDF_MacOSX

-->

With no success. Clicking the specified link does
nothing. I've tried to dissect the script without
success. No success with various (admittedly amateur)
script acrobatics.

I also think I may have been remiss by not making
clear all the requirements for this project so here
goes:

The pdf must be served up from a CD. Absolute paths
will not work.
The pdf can be in the same directory as the standalone
but I'd rather place it in a subfolder (called
resources).
The standalone must work on Windows, OS X, and Mac
Classic.

To recap the request: The user clicks a link. By
clicking the link, Acrobat (on Windows or Mac Classic)
or Preview (OS X) launches and displays a pdf file
from the CD.

Sorry again. I'm having a real hard time getting my
head around how to execute this seemingly simple task.

Thanks for your patience.

Steve