Windows crash in Dreamcard or Standalone with movie Player

Alister Pillow alisterhp at mac.com
Mon Feb 14 08:59:36 EST 2005

Hi,

I've built a "soccer penalty shootout" game (for a client). There are
about 50 video clips (quicktime .movs) showing different kicks and
their result (randomly selected "goal" or "save") plus videos of
instructions, congratulations etc. There is nearly 800MB of video - so
none of it has been imported as videoclips - it's all external.

There is a serious problem on the (Windows platform - XP Pro and Home)
in either Dreamcard or a Standalone (built on a Mac) when repeatedly
playing video clips - showing, hiding, starting, stopping.

My last test case had two Movies ("kick" and "goal") on the same card.
When the "playStopped" message is received, the "target" is hidden and
the other player started.

When the crash occurs (in the Standalone) it causes an OS dialog to
appear:
-----
"Soccer for Windows" has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience.
------
The data associated with the report usually mentions the qt.dll - but
sometimes only the ntdll.dll.

When run in Dreamcard, there is no error message or anything. (I have
previously wrapped try-catch blocks around everything - to no avail.)

NOTE: this error doesn't happen immediately. It usually takes 5 minutes
or so before it appears. Even more peculiar, the action will continue
underneath the error message.

The code for this is fairly simple and the action takes place on one
card:

----
local pName
on openCard
   start player "p1"
end openCard

on playStopped
   # Lock messages to avoid the associated "playStopped" message
   lock screen
   lock messages
   put the short name of the target into pName
   hide the target
   unlock messages
   swapPlayers
end playStopped

on swapPlayers
   if pName is "p2" then
     show player "p1"
     unlock screen
     start player "p1"
   else
     show player "p2"
     unlock screen
     start player "p2"
   end if
end swapPlayers
----

Has anyone encountered this problem? It doesn't happen on a Mac (so you
Mac people can rest easy). Just as well Apple has released the Mini - I
might have to pony-up for one to replace the PC.

Thanks,
----
Alister Pillow
NewMedia Engineer