Problems using Dreamcard

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Feb 9 16:35:40 EST 2005

Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Two possibilities :
>
> 1. Make sure the Player is not in "secure" mode (which prevents it
> from writing files or accessing the network).
> [    Click on the Rev icon at top right, and set the checkbox for "Run
> in non-secure mode"  ]
>
> 2. There is a bug (Bugzilla 2294) by which stacks run in Dreamcard
> Player do not have a "home" directory, so expressions such as
>   the filename of this stack
> do not produce the correct answer.

When Dreamcard and the Player came out, I tried using them for a while,
but quickly ran into some problems (Bugzilla 2117, 2138, 2139, 2140,
2142) which were all survivable (in fact - a couple of them are entered
as enhancements because it wasn't clear to me whether they were real
bugs or just possible improvements). When I ran into 2294, I decided to
(temporarily) give up on using Dreamcard Player - fortunately I still
have a valid 2.2.1 Express license, so can build standalones for my
users (though some of them would prefer the much smaller downloads we'd
get if we could use DC Player).

But triggered by Jim's question, I went back for another look. In less
than 30 minutes, I found more problems (2593, 2594, 2595, 2596 and 2597).

Is anyone actually using Dreamcard Player ?
How extensively ?
Is there anything about your user base that makes them able to use it
without running into problems (or is it something about me that makes me
unlucky :-) ?
Am I just too picky ?