The Case of the Disappearing Custom Property

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Feb 9 00:06:10 EST 2005

I have a large stack (about 87MB) that contains two QuickTime movies
imported as controls. I'm using this approach because the client
doesn't want anyone to be able to view these movies without registering
and receiving a password and QuickTime movies can't be
password-protected.

So far, so good.

In the IDE, everything goes as expected. The stack opens, the user is
asked for name and password and, if the password matches the value of a
custom property stored in the stack, he is given permission to proceed.
If not, he's told he has to go get the password and the stack closes.

Saved as a standalone, this does not work. I spent about 3 hours on
this today and what I've found after a lot of tracing is that in the
standalone app, the custom property containing the password against
which the user's entry is to be matched is empty. I have an answer
dialog that displays the value of that property. In the IDE, it shows
the property correctly and the stack works. In the runtime, that dialog
says the custom property has no value in it.

Known bug? I can't find anything on this in Mozilla. I'm going to
resort to placing the password into the stack as a variable, but that
seems somehow less elegant.

Dan