A simple Rev credit card processing solution

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Feb 8 16:30:41 EST 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 5:38 AM, Richard Miller wrote:

> I can now post a simple, effective, secure solution to processing a
> credit card through Rev.

Thanks for the detailed how-to.

 From the CardPresent documentation I get the impression that the client
needs to have a certificate.  Assuming I understand your example
correctly, it does not.  That is OK, I think; merchant authentication
in CP is based on the shared secret in x_tran_key.  The Revolution
documentation says that the client will be able to submit a certificate
only in the future, so it is good news that a method is available that
does not need it.

I wonder if there is a way to improve security in this.  This uses the
Comodo CA root certificate.  I would guess that there are many
certificates signed by Comodo.  An owner of a signed certificate might
be able to exploit the Revolution SSL name-matching vulnerability
(bugzilla 2545).  Perhaps security might be improved if you could use a
more specific root, perhaps one directly from authorize.net.

I noticed that CP response verification uses MD5, which Revolution can
do if it is desired.

Dar