OT: Mentoring Mac NewBies

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Feb 7 10:22:20 EST 2005

It's a shame that "Macintosh Basics" doesn't seem to be around anymore.
  That was a *very* well-done, very simple animated tutorial on how to
use a Macintosh.  It included training for mouse and keyboard skills,
working with the Macintosh interface and the finder, application
basics, and so forth.  I think they used to include it with Macs -- on
a 3.5" floppy, of course.  Way out of date by now, but it was likely
one of the best "intro to computers" tutorials I have ever seen.

I found a website about that program here:

http://www.q-design.com/examples/Instructional/MacBasics.html

Meanwhile, possibly not what you are looking for, but:

http://www.ku.edu.tr/text/help/mac/system_basic.html
http://www.help2go.com/article71.html
http://mmlweb.rutgers.edu/music127/basic/mac_basics.htm
http://www.asisna.com/eagles/mac/macbasics.html

Ya' know, this would be a fun project to do in Rev, actually.  Hide the
menubar and dock, and do a full-screen kiosk type of thing (with an
'exit' button, of course), with multiple tutorial topics and so forth,
as a kind of modernized "Macintosh Basics" tutorial.  A similar program
could be done for Windows, and much of the content could be re-used
with some modified graphics, since the basic mouse and keyboard
techniques (at least) are essentially the same...

If I ever get the free time again (Ha!) maybe I'll try something like
this, if no one beats me to it.