OT: Network Hell

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 7 09:46:28 EST 2005

Folks, I know this is OT, but I was emboldened by the positive answers
Sivakatirswami got to his "Mentoring Mac" question.

I am totally fed up with my lack of understanding of TCP/IP networking
at more or less any level above the purely physical. I am surrounded by
the wretched things - I  have small LANs in two countries, cable and
ADSL modems, WiFi access points, you name it. I know what an IP address
is and I vaguely understand what DNSs do - but the mass of other info
that one needs to successfully configure even the smallest network is
just a jumble to me, and the alphabet soup of networking acronyms is
just indigestible murk. Sometimes I get things working but I hardly
ever know how I did it. I dread the advice on Windows XP Home Edition
('Home Edition' - doesn't the very name imply that one is working on
one's own?) to consult your network administrator - and even Mac OSX
says things like this nowadays. I ain't got no stinking administrator,
just me.

Can anyone suggest a way out of this mess? I am quite willing to read a
lot of material but the kind of starting point I want doesn't seem to
exist.

TIA

Graham