Rev 2.5 on WinXP: Issues with multiple monitors

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Feb 6 17:41:41 EST 2005

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> I suspect it won't be changed, because it's common to create and
>> manipulate "invisible" windows by positioning them off-screen, and it
>> would be hard to figure the difference between that technique and the
>> case where the user has switched from dual monitor to single monitor.
>> Alex.
>
> Actually, IDE should distinguish between its own windows (stacks) and
> user windows (stacks). User windows should be left alone, of course,
> but IDE windows, like Documentation, should check their location in
> preopenstack and hop onto the monitor if located outside. To provide
> backwards compatbility, just in case someone relied on this, this
> behavior could be controlled by a preference flag.

I think the IDE uses the technique of positioning its stacks off-screen.
I know that periodically I discover that my Docs window isn't opening
properly (it appears to not open at all), and if I do "put the loc of
stack "revdocs"" it has become positioned at some 'significant' value
(maybe -32767, -32767 ??? - not sure now).  In any case, I can fix it by
"set the loc of stack "revdocs" to the screenloc" to get it back; I'm
fairly sure I tracked that down at one point to the IDE deliberately
setting  off-screen coords - but decided I wasn't going to benefit from
tracking it any further, and just got use to typing the reposition
command when I need it.

I could be misremembering - it's been a few months; or I could have been
misinterpreting what I saw back then. And even if I wasn't - maybe there
should be a check as you suggest to overcome the "disappearing docs
window" problem as well :-)