OT: Mentoring Mac NewBies

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Feb 5 20:10:56 EST 2005

Mac OS X:

Imagine a lady who never did any IT work in her whole life, but is a
fully competent person, excellent typist, very good with language, very
intelligent, successful human being, is just a bit challenged by being
told to "make a new folder on your desktop and then move that into your
User folder in the Documents folder." And then her husband, of whom she
asks many questions...  gets really frustrated when she "pushes the
wrong button." and makes her feel like a "dummy" because she doesn't
"get it."

If she wanted to, on her own, "get up to speed," are their any learning
resources on the web to get someone who doesn't even know what you mean
when you say "The Finder" up to a new level of computer fluency... I'm
not talking about making this level of newbie a programmer, just
conversant in how to use the machine works, navigate, etc.

I'm familiar with the Mac's own "For New Computer Users" in the help...
but am looking for other similar resources as well.

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org