Notepad can't...interpret the code parts of a stack?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Feb 5 09:25:33 EST 2005

Erik Hansen wrote:

>--- Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:
>

>>...use a basic text editor and just copy the
>>script code out and paste into a new stack.
>>(Notepad can't do it, but Emacs has no problem
>>finding and sensibly
>>interpreting the code parts of a stack).
>>

>this sounds ominous,
>could you please elaborate?

Sorry Erik - just noticed the Subject line, and realized that I may have
misinterpreted what you were asking about.

There's nothing ominous about the fact that Notepad can't interpret the
code from a stack file; I'm not talking about cutting/pasting the script
from a stack into Notepad - that works fine. I'm talking about opening
the stack file in an editor, and then picking out the parts that are
script; the stack is mixed binary and ascii data, and Notepad fails to
interpret the line endings in the ascii part - so you get very long
lines all bundled together. Wordpad and Emacs are quite happy to
interpret the binary sections in their own way - and still let you see
and edit the ascii parts cleanly; because they recognize line endings
OK, the text parts look fine (except for the first line of a script,
which is usually tacked onto the end of a string of binary data)

-- Alex.