Ultra Beginner Question/Request

Lynch, Jonathan BNZ2 at CDC.GOV
Fri Feb 4 15:55:23 EST 2005

Having only done a little bit of programming in traditional languages,
but having a background that included quite a bit of hypercard use at
one time - I found Rev to be entirely intuitive.

On the other hand, I find VB and C to be entirely unintuitive - and I
think I see why.

If I want to envision a program, the first thing I do is visualize in my
head what the user will experience. Then, I lay out the buttons, fields,
etcetera... that will be needed to make the program look like what I see
in my head. After that, I create the scripts in each object to make then
actually perform.

If you think about traditional programming - you have a main routine
which calls out to a bunch of subroutines to do stuff. So, you write the
core functions first, then you write the programming to make it look
like it needs to, based upon those core functions - starting at the
inside and working your way out.

Well, Rev and Hypercard are the opposite. You start at the outside, then
work your way in. So the process would be:

1) Envision what the program will look like, and how the user will
interface with the program.

2) Make the layout (place the desired objects) in Rev to correspond with
that vision.

3) Write the scripting to make those objects do what you want.

4) Test and modify as needed.

I am no expert, but that is what works for me. Does that help, or were
you looking for a more detailed analysis?