New Externals...

Derek Hadlington djh at mac.com
Thu Feb 3 15:21:28 EST 2005

Hi,
Windows Mobile platforms have had .Net capability for a while via the .Net
Compact Framework and controls support from vendors such as ComponentOne.
Visual Studio IDE (Professional and above) provides projects 'out of box'
for Mobile devices and even an emulator to test your application without
having a PDA/Smart Device.

Current .Net framework (1.1) Will work on Windows Platforms all the Way back
to NT4 SP6a with certain caveats.

Mono on Linux works quite nicely and I regularly build on MS .Net and run on
windows and Vice Versa. Only real weakness at moment is the Windows Forms
Implementation on Mono is a 'work in progress' and relies on Wine emulation.
Iam using GTK bindings on .Net to address this for now.
A lot of these limitations are been addressed in future versions as well as
VS2005 compatibility and now Novell is stewarding the effort its moving
along at quite a rate. There will always be some minor differences ( IP
issues and certain frameworks not been useful on non Windows environments).

Like most things in theory ( I think :-)) )Revolution could be made so that
it emits Mono/MS .Net compatible ILASM code which could be run on top of a
.Net or Mono runtime enivronment. Points to note here are :-

Would need a ground up rewrite of Revolution to generate ILASM instead of
Its own integrated custom bytecode engine and code model. A BIG Job I
would expect !

Revolution as it is has the nice feature of very easy deployment with
most applications been comprised of a single file approx 2MB in size.
Mono and .Net are in the 20 to 40 MB range unless frameworks etc are
already installed on system its to be deployed on ( Very uncommon
currently ).  Solution to reduce .Net size and not require framework to
be installed globally do exist and cost is $$$$ ( Xenocode $1500 !! ).
This issue often occurs with Java too :-)

I would personally think a better course to take would be the one Gordon
suggested in his OT, namely make it easy to bind to .Net/Mono in a similar
Way to how you can use .Net functionality from ActiveState Perl using
PerlNet supplied with their Perl Development Kit.

Phew that got a bit too long and OT :-))

Cheers
Derek