command-option-click edit

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Feb 2 17:57:22 EST 2005

When we command-option-click on a control we can conveniently edit
its script. However, if we are in browse mode then we also activate
any mouseUp handler in the control. I think that is bad behaviour
because I'm always intending to edit the script, not activate the
control. I am a slow learner and make the mistake many times a day.
I'm very tired of it. You might be too.

Are there any circumstances when you would WANT to activate the
control with the click that opens the script editor in the IDE? There
is certainly circumstances where it is annoying: if a button has a
long-lasting script, or if the button initiates a series of message
calls to part of its own script.

There are at least two bugzilla reports about this behaviour, but
they are resolved as not a bug (1884) and as a duplicate (1966). I
would be very pleased if Alex Tweedy would re-open BZ bug #1884, and
if all of you would vote for it.

Regards,
--
Michael J. Lew