[OT] Win convention question

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Feb 2 10:24:32 EST 2005

Why don't you just use an existing installation package such as Inno
Setup (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php), since that will provide
these things for you "for free"?

Inno Setup will let you specify files to be copied, where to place
them, registry entries to be installed (and removed), it automatically
handles placing your program in Add/Remove Programs (and provides an
uninstaller), and it is used by numerous other projects, so that the
interface will be familiar to many people (and it's quite similar to
many other installation programs, enough so that even someone who never
did use an Inno Setup installer but who has installed other programs
should have no trouble using it).  It allows for a great deal of
customization, and if you get the ISTool script editor in the
QuickStart pack, it is very easy to use... well, for a Windows program
anyway ;-)

You can also trigger an external program, so if there are "oddball"
tasks to be performed when installing or uninstalling your program, you
can create a small tool with just the functionality needed to handle
those particular tasks, and call on that tool during the installation
or uninstallation process.

Did I mention that this is free?  Other tools are available as well...