Quoting the list

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Feb 1 15:02:56 EST 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:

> That's a new standard on me, Mark. Where does the clipping take place?
> Are clients supposed to handle this?

It's quite an old standard (or more properly convention - AFAIK it's not
part of any "standard document" as such).
I must admit, I thought it was an obsolete standard - didn't realize it
was still useful. But a quick google around shows lots of references to it.

Mozilla Thunderbird automatically puts this in for you between the body
text and the signature file (if used), and automatically trims it out
when you do a "reply". AVG (free anti-virus) also uses it to help avoid
accumulating messages.

I've switched over (back) to using this convention now - thanks Mark.