[OT] Re: Quoting the list

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 1 14:25:25 EST 2005

Judy Perry wrote:
 > Mine does too (PINE).  Manual rearrangement is not trivial.

Precisely.

Readability takes effort, and thereby reduces noise.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation

DISCLAIMER: One of my favorite waste of bandwidth are corporate lawyers
so insecure about their job security that they feel they must invent
novel ways to inject themselves throughout an organization.  In recent
years we've seen this in the form of lengthy disclaimers that counsel
advises management must be added to all outgoing mail.  I'm no legal
expert, so never having seen any lawsuit brought to a screeshing halt
when the lawyer enters the courtroom shouting "Ah! But your honor, I
have this email disclaimer!" may not mean it's entirely stupid.  But it
does seem unlikely, from any generic logical sense, that the silliness
in the wording of such disclaimers would have any practical benefit to
anyone but comedy writers.  Most such disclaimers basically say that
when an employee chooses to send nuclear secrets in open email, the
responsibility for the management of that information falls not on the
employee but on the unwitting recipient.  No, really.  Read them,
they're pretty funny.  Admittedly, in American courts nearly anything is
possible, but if only for a good chuckle I would love to read the court
transcript for the precendent-setting case presumably giving rise to
this trend in which such a bizarre position was actually supported by a
court.  That is, if there is one.