Don't understand the meaning of "local"

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Fri Dec 23 11:21:47 EST 2005

>Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
>Jim,
>
>If you declare your local outside the object handlers, then it stays
>persistent to that object *until* you edit the script. Editing scripts
>resets all it's locals.
>
>best,
>
>Chipp

Chipp,

Thanks. That is what I was missing. I was also finding that when I
returned to the script the old local variable retained its value from
the previous run--until, as you  say, the script is recompiled.

"Local" is a deceptive descriptor. It is used (as a script local) to
control not only locality, but also persistence--it has both spacial
and temporal implications.

I'm not faulting the docs. It's all there.

Jim