Debugging and the execution path

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Dec 22 12:40:13 EST 2005

Jerry-

Thursday, December 22, 2005, 8:24:55 AM, you wrote:

> Colleagues,

> I'm encouraged by your enthusiasm for an embedded var watcher in
> Constellation to replace the Rev Var watcher palette that we now use.

> Here's what I'm proposing to do:

...and since you're taking requests...

I'd really like (and I think this is similar to what Alex Tweedly is
suggesting) something like Visual Studio's Watch List. That is, I'd
like to be able to select variables in context and have a separate
area in the Var Watcher with:

1. watched variable value displayed no matter where I am
2. the ability to trigger on a change in value or a specific value

Clicking on a variable would bring up a menu allowing me to "Add to
Watch List" or there could be another column for this. Then I would be
able to specify a trigger condition that would enable a breakpoint -
this would be "any change" or a specific condition i.e., "> 4".

The current Var Watcher implements setting conditional breakpoints
after a fashion, but only while there's a debugger session already in
progress, and there's no Watch List functionality.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net