Search structure suggestions

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 23:13:57 EST 2005

On 12/19/05 11:40 AM, "Richard Miller" <wow at together.net> wrote:
> Looking for suggestions on the best way to present a search query to
> the user.  (full quote below)
It sounds like you have a tree of possibilities and want any of the branches
to trigger a search.  I have put together a little stack that takes the
quick-and-dirty approach to populating fields at each level with the
following logic...
single click allows the selection of a line in a field and shows the next
level of possibilities.
double click would allow the search to commence at that level, using the
string to that point.

thus, the user could choose the search string.

Field 1 would have 6 lines, fld 2 would have 8.
My stack actually populates three fields, but you could use it to see if the
code would be a starting point for you.  It parses the contents of a 'source
field' containing all the search strings possible and builds the 'menus'.
This way, you could enter your specific terms and click-away :-)

If you are interested, let me know and I can send it to you directly.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas