Best modality for rather large stacks

FMoyer at aol.com FMoyer at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 14:18:40 EST 2005

Hi:

I have to port a bunch of Hypercard Stacks over to Revolution. A typical
stack contains 5000 cards with one background and about 50 fields. While these are
not huge stacks, they are big enough where if I simply port them as they are
to Revolution, searches will be glacially slow. I need to be able to search
quickly and see different views of the material. For example, one of the stacks
is my address stack. Most of the time I just need to find a person's name; at
other times, I need to see a list of everyone with a certain zip code, or a
list of those who responded to a mailing, etc.

Can anyone advise on the best mode? At the moment I am inclined to create a
one-card stack that links to a text file. In the text file, one line of text
would contain all of the data for one card. So to "go" to card 533 the computer
would simply read line 533 of the text file, parse it, and set up the data
onto the fields.   This method seems really good as searches are very fast using
"lineoffset", and if things get fouled up I can simply open the text file in
any word-processor and fix it. I also like the fact that I don't have to
continually save the stack -- in my script the text file would be continually
updated as fields are changed, cards created/deleted.

Before I invest the time in the above method, can anyone tell me if I am
taking the right approach? For example, what about using arrays, or Valentina? I
don't know anything about them. I'm not asking for detailed instructions, just
a hint at what is the best approach.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Fred Moyer