MS Office and XML

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Wed Dec 14 13:27:45 EST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 4:19 PM, MisterX wrote:

> There's rawa data in SQL.
>
> Being able to store binary data in a format is maybe unfriendly to
> someone
> at one point but that's trivial compared to the advantages that
> this feature
> brings or can bring to your apps ;)

Err... Xavier... Err... XML cannot contain binay data... it's on the
spec... nothing forbids you to do that, but somewhere, in some old
RFC, we all agreed we would not put binary data on XML files, you
should uucode, base64 or create some sane way to pack binary data in
XML, or you might end up with corrupted data as your xml travels
different networks and different systems.

There are many ways to encode binary data for XML transportation...
Inserting raw binary data into a XML node doesn't sound right for me.

Cheers
andre